Suma, scientifically called Hebanthe eriantha, is a plant found all over in South America. Its benefits were first discovered by the indigenous tribes living in South and Central America.
Suma’s roots have been traditionally used in medicine for centuries as it has various health benefits for different parts of the body, including the brain, the immune system, and the digestive system. It is also known to boost energy, protect vital organs, increase hormone synthesis, and even fight cancer. It is commonly called “Brazilian ginseng” for obvious reasons, even though the plant is not related to ginseng.
It is said to be an adaptogen. An adaptogen is something that strengthens the body as well as mind against stress. The people native to South America would have Suma roots daily to boost their physical energy and stamina.
Suma roots are the most useful part of the plant. This is because Suma plants have considerably deep roots which withdraw nutrients from the soil and hence make the roots the richest source of its bioactive compounds. Suma has been put to a wide variety of uses such as:
- Strengthening the immune system
- Curing anxiety
- Soothing out pain
- Reducing digestive problems
- Increasing physical energy
- An aphrodisiac
- Curing erectile dysfunction
- Mending ulcers
- Reducing stress
Suma is a storehouse of a large variety of nutrients, minerals and other biologically beneficial compounds. The active antioxidants in Suma roots are crucial for preventing damage to the brain and other vital organs as well as for avoiding diseases and fighting against long-term aging effects.
The electrolytes, vitamins A, B1, B2, E, K1 and K2, minerals (iron, magnesium, and zinc) and amino acids act as building blocks for the metabolism of the body. Suma roots help the body maintain optimal conditions.
Germanium plays a vital role in strengthening the immune system.
Saponins found in Suma roots are pfaffic acids or pfaffosides which are essential for the synthesis of hormones, inhibition of cancer, cellular oxygenation, and cholesterol, and glucose metabolism.
Suma also contains ecdysteroids whose beneficial effects have been scientifically confirmed.
Suma Health Benefits
- As mentioned earlier, Suma is an adaptogen, e.; it increases the body’s ability to cope with stress and diseases. Inlay man’s terms, Suma has a balancing effect on the various biological processes carried out inside our body.
- Suma can prevent cancer. It decreases breast cancer, liver cancer, and prevents leukemia in mice, and these benefits can be extended to humans too. However, it cannot totally cure cancer.
- Suma is known to build muscles. As mentioned above, Suma contains ecdysteroids that help increase physical strength without any negative side effects as associated with artificial steroids. It can also cure muscle injury and treat diseases involving muscle atrophy.
- Suma boosts energy. Even though Suma is not a stimulant, it elevates physical energy levels since it’s rich in nutrients.
- Suma increases testosterone levels. Therefore Suma can be utilized as a supplement for testosterone synthesis.
- Suma enhances sexual life. One of the primary uses of Suma in traditional medicine has been to enhance libido and prevent premature ejaculation.
- Suma improves fertility in women. This effect has an essential use in the modern environment as contact with various hormone-disrupting agents is becoming more and more common. Sitosterol and Stigmasterol, found in Suma roots, enhances estrogen levels in females. To add, ecdysteroids promotes the formation of prostaglandins which are important for ovulation and hence menstrual cycle.
- Suma root is an active anti-inflammatory agent. Suma roots have been tested on mice to find that it not only decreases the chances of inflammation of the intestine and lesions but also reduces levels of metabolism of inflammation at the very cellular level. Suma extract has been found to reduce histamine in human skin cells. Moreover, it can also treat arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
- Suma is a powerful antioxidant. Oxidants are the main cause of long-term body damage. As Suma roots contain ecdysteroids, it helps remove oxidants from the body. Suma increases the levels of superoxide dismutase in human cells which prevents damage. Hence, it may help fight the aging process and prolong the average lifespan of a human.
- As Suma roots contain antioxidants, when applied on the skin, it can reduce dark circles. The dark circles are an after-effect of inflammatory activity in the body, which results in blood getting congested in the thin capillaries around the eyes, appearing dark or bruised. The Ecdysteroids also reduce the symptoms of psoriasis considerably.
The pfaffosidesin Suma roots decrease the production of melanin which is the primary compound making the skin dark. So, Suma prevents melanin production in human skin cells without any negative side effects.
- Suma protects the brain from alcohol damage. Suma roots prevent damage to the brain, from accumulated free radicals due to alcohol consumption, through its anti-oxidizing
- Suma may improve cognition. Ecdysteroids seemingly promote the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as glutamate, acetylcholine, and GABA hence improving cognitive activities. After 150 days of treatment with Suma extract the mice were found to have improved learning abilities as well as cured memory loss related to aging.
- Suma reduces pain. Suma has proven to be an analgesic (painkillers) too. Thus, it can benefit us in cases of chronic pain.
- Suma prevents liver damage. Ecdysteroids triggers various protective mechanisms in the liver and hence enhances the overall health of the liver when taken regularly. The anti-oxidizing effects of the Suma roots are more prominent in the blood and liver. Ecdysteroids promote protein and RNA synthesis, which in turn improves the functioning of the liver and usage of protein intake.
- Suma roots build and maintain muscle mass. As we have come to know, Suma enhances protein synthesis, and therefore, it contributes to building and maintaining muscle mass.
The ecdysteroids found in Suma roots stimulates protein synthesis by triggering mRNA synthesis. It helps in the production of protein in muscle cells, muscle growth, and as a result, improves overall physical performance. It has been found that ecdysteroids enhance protein synthesis in mammals by about 20% max.
- Suma improves the immune system of the body as it contains high levels of Germanium. A considerable increase in macrophages has also been noticed by intake of Suma extract and macrophages play an important role in fighting and preventing
- Suma balances blood glucose levels and keeps diabetes under control. Alleviation of diabetic symptoms also has been another main use of Suma roots all along. It reduces excess glucose levels in the blood. The ecdysteroids decrease the production of glucose, and these effects have been predominantly found in the liver cells (hepatocytes).
Interestingly enough, the blood glucose level is decreased by ecdysteroids independent of insulin levels. This benefit is particularly crucial in cases where reduced insulin sensitivity makes the body less capable of regulation of its glucose levels.
- Suma lowers cholesterol. The saponins in Suma roots, sitosterol, and Stigmasterol decrease high cholesterol levels in the blood. In mice, the cholesterol level was found to decrease by 30% after only a few weeks of daily treatment with ecdysterone.
- Ecdysteronesfound in Suma root reduce body fat by up to10%.
- Powdered Suma roots have been used by traditional healers to treat sickle – cell anemia, a condition when the blood cells are not biconcave, which may lead to blood clots. Suma root extract decreases the number of blood cells affected by sickle – cell anemia and also reduces the deformation of the blood cells.
- Suma roots, which are rich in ecdysteroids, boost the production of collagen, which is critical for maintaining health and form of skin, hair, joints, and
- Suma root extract assists in digestion as it lowers the levels of stomach acid and protects the stomach from ulcers and heartburn.
- Suma prevents kidney damage. Suma has been found to enhance the functioning of the kidneys. It improves the kidneys’ capacity to filter the blood.
- Suma also prevents osteoporosis. One of the ecdysteroids found in Suma roots, called Beta-ecdysteroids, is known to prevent the onset of osteoporosis in the first place. This is because the ecdysteroid increases the rate of development of new bone cells (osteogenesis).
Suma Usage and Limitations
The present scientific data collected about ways in which Suma roots are beneficial may be quite strong, but it must not be forgotten that most of this data about Suma originates from mere cell-based and animal studies and there is little to no evidence in connection to the effects of Suma root extract on humans.
Although Suma has been in traditional use for centuries, most of the recent researches conducted on Suma has strongly assured the wide variety of its traditional uses, which provides massive credibility to Suma’s medicinal values.
Suma root Preparation
The Suma root is generally taken in the form of a powder formed by crushing the roots which can be ingested in combination with other foods or on its own or can be made into a tea. Modern science, however, has been able to make capsules, alcohol-based tinctures and pills out of Suma roots that are consumed as nutritional supplements.
However, taking it in the form of raw powder is the best way to acquire the fullest dose of all the nutrients that Suma provides.
Suma Side Effects
Most studies show evidence of no negative side effects or its constituent compounds. The toxicity of ecdysteroids is believed to be considerably low in mammals. The few cases that have been reported of adverse side effects were often due to overdosage of Suma that extended well beyond the prescribed dose range for humans.
Even in such cases, the side effects were relatively scarce and mostly consisted of only minor symptoms such as indigestion and mild nausea.
But, Suma’s influence on hormone production indicates that it should be avoided by anyone who has had a history of diseases related to hormonal imbalance as intake of Suma may aggravate these conditions or have unpredictable and unknown effects on health.
In addition to that, unknown drug interactions remain a possibility, and doctor consultation is a must before embarking on a new supplementation regimen.
With the increasing awareness about the negative side effects, of the artificial chemicals used in allopathy, on our health, it has become increasingly critical to resort to natural medicines. Hence, we hope we have been able to provide you with the necessary knowledge about Suma roots.
Rejuvenating and muscle growth
Sickle cell anemia
Kills leukemia cells
Inhibits tumor growth
Ingredients: Wild harvested Suma
Parts Used: Root
Forms: Two ounces of powder or 60 vegetable capsules (550-600 mg).
How to use:
Powder: Take one tsp of dried powder in 8 oz. of favorite juice or smoothie, two times a day.
Capsules: Take 2-4 capsules a day with water or a favorite beverage.
The gel caps we use are Vegicaps (vegetable) and are all-natural. No Animal By-Products, Starch Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free, Ethylene Oxide, and Sulfite FREE!
Legal Information: The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Copyright ©2019, All rights reserved